Friday 3 April 2009

Old friends

As I write this the Around the World in 80 Telescopes webcast is continuing, I believe it's now got to some of the famous observatories on the west coast of the USA. I'm back on a dialup right now so there's no possibility of watching the live feed, but I'll catch up soon. Them's the breaks of living out in the sticks but the site is archiving each observatory's 20-minutes of fame so you can watch them again later. Earlier today I managed to catch the live feed from the UK's Jodrell Bank Observatory which is now available here I think. I loved it - Tim O'Brien did the prerecorded video and the live webcast. He's an old friend who I haven't seen for 15 years or so, and dammit, unlike me he hasn't aged a bit! The accent is a bit thicker than I remember though.

Tim's one of the smartest people I know but also very down-to-earth (if that's the right sort of description to give an astronomer). I thought he did a great job.

1 comment:

Beep said...

It is great to read that the segments were recorded and can still be seen. I thought UKIRT's was well worth watching, btw! But I missed a few that I had hoped to see due to the severe technical difficulties at the website where they were being shown. I finally had to just give up.