Tuesday 21 April 2009

High winds



On the drive up to Hale Pohaku this morning I saw a large lenticular cloud over Mauna Loa, but it was still far too dark to take a picture. After an early breakfast and before heading to my room to get a few hours sleep, I took a picture of the cloud over Mauna Loa and one also of a lenticular cloud over Mauna Kea. These types of clouds often form in mountainous areas when there are high winds at summit level.

Tonight we can't open the dome as the winds are still too high. The humidity has been rising as well, so we may be in fog soon although the sky above does appear to be clearing. Another frustrating night on the summit.

3 comments:

Zuzana said...

That is an amazing cloud. It looks like some sort of alien spaceship. I would almost believe it was painted on the sky. Very interesting, I have never seen a cloud like this before.

Diane said...

Ummm... you sure that's not the mother ship? 'Cause it seriously looks like the mother ship. If you notice any 3-eyed, scaly-skinned, odd-looking humanoids trekking around Hawaii this week, let me know. 'Cause I'm thinking that's the mother ship.

Keera Ann Fox said...

I'm with Diane. That's no cloud; that's camouflage. (It sure is an intense-looking thing.)