Sunday 30 November 2008

Jupiter, Venus and the Moon

I was hoping for a clear sky this evening because the crescent Moon, Jupiter and Venus are all close to each other shortly after sunset. Unfortunately, despite a beautifully clear and sunny sky today, the clouds built up against the mountains and the western sky is obscured. It happens this time of year...

For those lucky enough to have a clear sky at sunset, look to the west-south-west on Monday night just after the sun has set. You'll see the Moon, Jupiter and Venus in the sky - you can't miss them, they'll be the brightest objects in the sky. You might even be lucky (or unlucky) enough to see the Moon occult Venus, i.e., Venus hides behind the Moon.

Report back to me if you see this, I suspect it'll be cloudy here again!

4 comments:

Zuzana said...

Rats, should have seen this post yesterday.;))

Anonymous said...

Just happened to run across your blog. Small world, I have a sister that lives in Mtn View. I noticed that bright trine grouping earlier this evening. I recall looking up and being pleasantly surprised. I meant to take a picture but by the time I remembered to grab my camera, it was too late :o( So sad, too bad. It was nice and clear in Honolulu too! Anyways, I emjoyed reading your blurbs. On a side note, the kokee's have landed in Kailua - probably hitched a ride on one of the orchid plants in Hilo. Yikes!!

John Powell said...

Last night was very clear in Kona. The two planets above, the moon below made a striking "smiley face."

Tom said...

Hello Angelstar and thanks for stopping by! I heard that the coquis had arrived on Oahu and wondered now that they're getting closer to the big tourist areas if something might actually start happening to control them. Call me cynical if you want!

John - thanks for popping in and reading my blog! As I'm sure you know the windward side isn't blessed by the number of clear nights you get on the Kona side. It's cloudy again this evening unfortunately...