Monday 8 March 2010

Sunblast

Well, there's "sunset" and "sunrise", how about "sunblast"? It's when the photographer gets it wrong and points their camera at a bright sun and gets unintended results. Actually, although the sky is completely blasted out around the sun in the above picture (it looks a little like a nuclear explosion over the Pacific, doesn't it?) I liked the way the clouds were illuminated and the reflections in the camera's lens. Pu`u Poli`ahu is the cinder cone in the foreground.

Not such a dramatic or interesting effect as the first picture but I like the way the rays from the setting sun look. Pu`u Poli`ahu again to the right and the Hualalai volcano in the middle distance.

As always, you can click on the pictures for larger versions.

5 comments:

Ronald Rabenold said...

Spectacular...I'm new to blogging, and I'm loving my ecclectic list I'm following, this one is my new best favorite, a little respite in paradise from my computer while coming out of the gray dull NEastern winter...THANX!

Keera Ann Fox said...

Nice effects! I like these sunblasts.

Anonymous said...

Great shots as usual...

I was told it was never good to take a picture of the sun as even some of the best cameras can get damaged???

Myth?

Tom said...

Ronald - thanks for stopping by and for the compliment! You know, sometimes I really miss nasty winters which I'm sure you experienced this year. It's not so much the bad weather, but just to experience seasons again!

Keera - have to admit I ignored the shots initially but looked at them again and thought they looked interesting!

Damon - I'll get back to you on that very shortly.

Tom

Tom said...

Damon - I read an article about this very thing not long ago and had to go and find it hence the delay.

Firstly, don't look at the sun directly or through a camera lens, that's just a bad idea. As for camera damage, this is what was said in the magazine article although bear in mind it's opinion and a reply to a letter.

Essentially Nikon seem to add this warning in the manuals, i.e., don't point at the sun. The author also states that they have never seen any damage despite they and their clients have ever seen any problem caused by shooting the sun.

It goes onto to say though that you shouldn't point a camera at the sun for a prolonged time, which seems like common sense to me. You have lenses that concentrate the light, so you do run the risk of concentrating light onto something that might melt inside the camera or even cause a fire.

So, I don't think it's complete myth but you certainly can take photos of the sun and again, don't look though the viewfinder and point the camera at the sun, that's asking for trouble.

Tom