Thursday 18 March 2010

Less wind, more cloud

Tonight the wind has dropped to a bearable 20-mph but the clouds that have been threatening us to the west have arrived as you can see in the picture above. From left to right, Subaru, the Kecks and the NASA IRTF. To my left, Gemini was opening for the night and in the distance to the right, UKIRT has the main shutter open as well as the dome ventilation system to help cool off the dome for the night's first observations. The clouds will make it hard work tonight.

5 comments:

Keera Ann Fox said...

n00b question: So you can see through clouds? I mean, I thought the whole point of putting telescopes where the atmosphere is thinnest was to avoid clouds and you've been able to see through them all along?

Or was "will be difficult" a British understatement and the truth is you're going to spend the whole night cursing the weather and getting nothing done?

BR,
n00b

Tom said...

Keera - although I've lived a long time in the States now, I still can't get rid of that typical British understatement thing! In fact your question is a little more complicated than you might have imagined. I think I'll try and answer it in a blog post this evening, but the simple answer is yes and no!

Tom

Tom said...

PS. It also gives me an excuse to post a few more pictures!

Keera Ann Fox said...

Always happy to give you an excuse to post more pictures! :-)

Zuzana said...

The last pictures looks like true UFO.;)
Tom, visiting your blog is a feast for eyes at al times.;)
You know, I will forever be fascinated by your profession.
xo
Zuzana