Tuesday 15 December 2009

A dark night tonight

I don't feel like writing much this evening. I cannot say why as the news I have is confidential and so all I'll say is that I'll be making sure my CV is up to date.

These are a collection of blogs and articles all written before the STFC announcement on Wednesday 16th December at 2pm GMT. They give a flavour of the pre-announcement feelings of the UK astronomical community. I don't think the mood will improve much once the announcement is made.

STFC Funding Crisis: Astronomy
The e-Astronomer
In the Dark
To the left of centre
Orbiting Frog
SarahAskew

Update since I can't sleep:

In the Dark - Day of Reckoning
Save Astronomy

8 comments:

Aaron Stene said...

It certainly doesn't sound very good at all. I hope that these cuts don't affect the UK's Mauna Kea astronomy presence.

Beep said...

I am sending every good thought I can think of and hope that you will be ok. This "Great Recession" is affecting just about everyone I know, now.

Zuzana said...

Hmmm... so sorry...
But you know, maybe it is time for a change, everything happens for a reason.
I am not feeling in a good mood myself today due to disappointing news too, so lets be unhappy together. At least you are not alone.
;)

Beep said...

Protege I don't think I've ever read anything by you before that wasn't full of sunshine; I am so sorry you have had some bad news. I've had some this week as well, medical, but I'm so used to someone or another telling me The End Is Near that I've become almost used to it.

I want to send you a Christmas card, which you will undoubtedly receive sometime in February, but you need to email me an address I can send it to :)

Hey, anyone reading this can have a Christmas card! I've got extra!

No Scrooges will ever get in the way of MY Christmas.

(((hugs)))

Hilary said...

I'm sorry to hear this, Tom. Sending best thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

I just heard the news... It just sounds like cuts at this point.

Devany said...

All I can say is that we went through this scenario two years ago and it is not at all comfortable. But in the end, that is what brought us here and it is surely the best move we ever made. Hang in there Tom. KNow that there are a lot of people who care about you and that whatever happens in the end, you will be just fine! Maybe it is time to take photography to a commercial level!

oink said...

Best of luck and I will say a prayer too.