Thursday 12 August 2010

The final night

Keck 1 at sunset this evening - just over an hour ago.

This seems so strange and it's come so quickly, but this is my final officially scheduled full night at the summit of Mauna Kea due to our upcoming switch to remote observing. I'm up again a few times during the rest of this year but all of them are support runs where I'm only at the summit for a few hours in the evening.

What an evening as well! Howling winds, below freezing temperatures and dreadful seeing. Oh well, I can't ask for everything I guess. It's going to feel a little sad at the end of the night when we leave for HP although my gut feeling is that I'm going to spending plenty of nights up here in the future. I hope so!

Subaru a little earlier at sunset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad. I was looking at Mauna Kea vicariously through you!

boo said...

I find it a bit sad as well. There is something poetic in the thought of astronomers toiling away through the night at the top of the world. Thank you so much for the reports and photos from up there. I hope you are able to continue, even if the frequency drops off.

Tom said...

gigahawaii - I'm a bit down about it but I'll still post about the place whenever I'm up there. I'm still scheduled to be on the mountain for a few more nights but not for the full night. Then again, I'm the boss now, so I'm sure I can find some way of getting around this! ;)

boo - thank you so much, that means a lot to me! I will do all I can to keep those poetic thoughts in your mind!

Tom