Wednesday 22 July 2009

Recycling old photos

I'm a bit tied up with various things right now so haven't been blogging much. In what spare time I have I've been looking at some of the photos I took when I first got my camera late last year and thought I'd try and reprocess them given I have a little more knowledge about photography than I had then. Still, there's that saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and I've always thought it's a damn good one, especially as I've seen it demonstrated so well over the years. Still, what harm can this do?

You've seen 'em before but not like this!

I've always loved this picture but the previous photo was just a subset of one of the original panoramas I tried. This isn't the whole thing, but most of it. One of the surprises of joining Flickr is that you suddenly get requests to share your pictures in other groups or elsewhere. This one ended up in a news story about the Thirty Meter Telescope coming to Hawai`i although I have no idea as to the credibility of the site. Seems they do like to grab pictures (with permission I should add) that have even the smallest connection to their story, but I'm not complaining!

A small lenticular cloud over Mauna Loa. It was windy that day and trying to hold the camera steady was challenging, but it turned out OK in the end. I had to throw away a number of photos though.

This was taken during the same observing run, I think a day earlier though. It's now on a Flickr group with a sense of humour - Wee Moon Photographs. Weee!

They didn't want this one though. Don't know why, it has a wee moon. It's the UH 88-inch telescope and the shadow of UKIRT's dome.

2 comments:

Beep said...

I think the reprocessing as shown here at least has had truly spectacular results!! Thank you for giving me some wonderful images to dream about tonight after a stressful day.

Keera Ann Fox said...

Well, it's summer, the season of reruns… :-) I especially like the lenticular cloud one. As for the rejection of the one wee moon, it doesn't look as wee in the telescope picture as it does in the cloud picture. Ya know?