Tuesday 25 October 2011

Spooky goings-on at UKIRT

It was almost midnight last night when the first spooky apparition was picked up by one of UKIRT's thermal infrared security cameras and triggered the motion sensor. It had been a cold, dark and quiet night up until then but suddenly the software sent out a burst of images capturing our warm friend ghosting across the field of view.

A second later it had drifted to the right, its unearthly body and eerie limbs glowing brightly in infrared light.

And before you could say "Is it Halloween yet?" it was gone.



3 comments:

Zuzana said...

Oh, so what was it?;))
Thanks for stopping by today Tom, do not envy us our fall to much, I woudl trade your climate anytime.;))
xoxo

Beep said...

Sorry I am late to visit here; I'm recovering from a concussion and I only hope I'm making sense now when I type. You'll have to please explain in small words what the "ghost" was. So that I can sleep at night without looking over my shoulder :)

Maren aka hilobeads aka Palms, Etc. said...

Glad you preserved the "ghost" for posterity. I must say it was one of the more fun things to trouble shoot last year :)