Sunday 30 January 2011

Hilo rocks

I've been a little quiet recently, sorry about that. To be honest I thought I'd go quiet a lot earlier than I did as UKIRT has long since gone into Minimalist Mode and expected to be called several time every night. In fact that has happened but not as often as I thought plus the weather has been so bad on Mauna Kea's summit we've been closed a lot and the few times we've been able to open and observe means that any little gotcha will, well, be a gotcha. Thankfully we've not had too many.

The last few nights have been wonderful - clear skies, hardly any faults, few calls and lots of great science data. Long may this continue!

So on my night off, on the way back from the grocery store, I thought I'd try the new camera out and also give lightroom a go, the idea being going from taking a picture and then processing it through software and coming up with a picture I like. It's taken all evening but then again I'm used to staying up late, so not a problem!

Anyway, I'm sure this picture could be improved, but not bad for my first go I think! It was taken just east of Hilo in the first park I could find right by the ocean- my groceries were in the back and didn't want to take long.

2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

absolutely dreamy and magical.
I use and like LR, very much.

Tom said...

Tammie - coming from you, with your amazing pictures, well, I can't tell you how much that means!

LR is definitely great but requires quite a lot of learning - I've only really used free picture editors in the past (e.g., Picasa) and the workflow is very different to what I'm used to!

Tom