Wednesday 10 November 2010

Things I'll miss: the sequel

For the last decade or so my brain has felt fuzzy. Weird work hours, lack of sleep, complicated things to think and write about, altitude, no oxygen etc. The list goes on. Then there's the cats. There used to be three of them but now only two, and those two have to be taken to their "vacation" home tomorrow and I'm dreading it. They know I'm up to something no matter how much advanced planning I do. Getting them both in the pet carrier is challenging and even though I've tried to do nothing different this evening, they know something's up. They've both found places to hide I've yet to discover. My tactics will have to change again I think...

The fuzzy brain syndrome may not last too much longer though (but I wonder if it's to be taken over by jet lag). I'm down at sea level with the coqui frogs, the sound of waves crashing on the cliffs and lots of rain, but that's OK! Trouble is, I don't think I can take photos like these down here, so really don't know what to do. Another problem to add to the list!

Anyway, hope you like these two taken while I was up last week. The one at the top is of course the shadow of Mauna Kea at sunset and the one below is a fiery sky above Hualalai well after sunset and about the time I should be starting to take some data with the telescope.

No missile launches to report I'm afraid, and even if there were it's too cloudy down here to see them.

4 comments:

Tom said...

You will have to find excuses to go back up fairly often. I'm fully addicted to your pics and could not survive without my pic fix.

gigi-hawaii said...

My cat bit me so deeply when I tried to put him in the cage that I had to take 3 antibiotics -- one intravenously.

Never again! I won't try to cage him again no matter how sick he gets!

boo said...

Sorry, Tom - I'm not buying it. You have a fabulous eye and live in one of the most photogenic places on earth - I anticipate that as things settle down for you, you will find plenty to appease your internet fan club ;-)

Best of luck dealing with the rogue cats! They can be most uncooperative at the worst times, can't they?

Tom said...

Tom - thanks for your kind words! I'm a little addicted to taking pictures o the summit so will have to find some other outlet...

Gigi - fortunately my cats aren't quite so violent but I know what you mean. My ex-boss used to have three cats and you always knew when he was about to travel or had to take them into the vet because his wrists were so badly torn up it looked like he'd had a battle with broken glass and lost.

Boo - can't help feeling how deceitful I've been. Yes, the cats are now safely tucked away in a very caring place, but you really had to be there to hear the noises they made once they realised I'd trapped them. Utterly heart-breaking. No hissing or anything like that, just the noise you'd make if someone you loved had once again broken your trust.

And I'm going to have to do it again early next year and come up with another plan. Bubbles and Eddie always jump on the bed when I wake up in the morning but doubt they'll do it anymore...

Tom