Monday 16 November 2009

Distant and expensive

Not my best photo by far but a nice one of Haleakala on the island of Maui from Mauna Kea's summit - bracketed by Keck 2 and the NASA IRTF.

I'm back on the mountain again and preparing for the sleep problems it always gives me. The circadian rhythm never likes switching from day to night shifts nor does anyone's body enjoy going from sea level to 14,000 feet. It's the job though and a pretty good one when you think about all the problems in the world right now.

In the distance is Maui. I want to go there again. It's about 80 miles away so not far but of course Hawai`i is an island state so you either sail or fly to another island and that's rarely cheap. Maui is also incredibly expensive itself and why shouldn't it be? Many famous people either visit or live there!

In 1994 I took a couple of friends to Maui as a thank you for helping me through some troubled times - all the way from the UK. That was the last time I visited Maui and would love to go back - without those friends this time.

No comments: